Chasing dreams? Here’s how to turn those dreams into reality.
Give yourself permission to dream, without analyzing it or picking it apart.
Chasing dreams. What are some things you’d love to do, places you would love to visit, or maybe brands you’d like to represent? Where would you like to see yourself in 6 months, a year or two. Dream big, most importantly though, make a list!
Chasing a dream is more than a wish.
It’s knowing where you want to go or what you want to do or be. It requires vision. With vision you can begin to see steps that are required to reach your destination. Is there an end goal? Chasing a dream will not come easy, because it requires hard work. It is you knowing that you want something bad enough that you’re willing to get up extra early to put the work in, or you’re working an extra job to gain the experience or extra income. Chasing a dream requires you to believe in yourself, especially when you feel like at moments you might be the only one who does.
Narrow your focus on what you want the next year to look like.
What would you like to be doing, or experiencing. Maybe there is a company you want to align with? Is there a race you want to work towards, perhaps your first stage race? What about a particular distance you want to run? What about your overall health? Focus on your goals and narrow them down.
Next I create a vision board for the upcoming year. I am in the process of working on mine!
Vision boards have been extremely effective for me. This is something I learned from Dr. Nathalie Beauchamp.
How to create a vision board:
- Collect magazines relating to your dreams and goals (running, trail running, outdoor adventure, travel, decor etc.) You can also download images and print them off.
- Decide the type of board you want to use. I have been using a magnetic board for years and it works great You might prefer a more decorative cork board. For some you might simply use poster board from craft stores. Make it as fancy or simple as you want.
- Invite a few friends over and create an inspiring afternoon together OR pour a glass of wine and put a fire on and settle in for a quiet evening at home.
- Begin going through all your magazines cutting out photos and inspirational quotes that inspire you. Just dream, remove obstacles in your mind and just enjoy thinking about the possibility, and the why not feelings.
- Begin creating a collage on your board. Some of your photos might be for the coming year, some might be a goal without a date as of yet, but represents something on your bucket list.
- If you are with friends take a moment to enjoy and celebrate everyones dreams. This is a great opportunity to get to know people more and see how you can encourage them in the future.
- Put your vision board somewhere where you will see it regularly. Re-visit the board to create plans in order to turn those dreams into actual goals. Don’t let your dreams stay dreams! Choose something on that board and begin to work towards accomplishing it.
Set realistic goals, however do not limit yourself with what you think is possible! If you really want to accomplish something then work hard, push yourself because often it is our own thoughts and behaviour that prevent us from chasing dreams.