10 Gift Ideas for the Runner in Your Life
Are you looking for ideas for the runner in your life? Maybe a wish list for yourself? Here is list of some of my favourite items I own and maybe one or two that are on my own Wishlist this year.
- Snowshoes: There are a lot of snowshoes on the market and I can only imagine a variety of good ones, however I’d highly recommend Dion Snowshoes. I believe in amazing customer service, if you have questions at all reach out to Derrick (through above link) and he will ensure that you are fitted with the correct pair for your adventures. Our Canadian winters bring a ton of snow to play outside and I’ve been using the same pair of Dion Snowshoes for 3 winters and love love love them! I’ve ran with friends who have started with other brands, only to switch to Dions. If you are looking for a great winter activity for yourself or a runner in your life, this is a great gift that’ll keep on giving every winter!
- Traction Cleats: Kahtoola MICROspikes would be my next go to winter accessory for running! When conditions get icy, especially when it starts to thaw in early spring, there is a lot of water run off that causes conditions to become extremely slippery. Using these MICROspikes gives me confidence to still get out and run in the hills! Not running icy trails? These are an excellent alternative for our winter sidewalk running, Yaktrax Run.
- GPS Watch: Lots of choices to choose from depending on your budget! Two big names would be Garmin and Suunto. I chose the Suunto mainly because at the time there was a huge sale that met my budget! I am a numbers girl, however I’m pretty basic in the info I pay attention to. I like to know how far I went and what my pace was. I may not need all the extras that my watch offers me (yet), BUT I am a distance runner and therefore my training runs can be up to 8hrs and some races up to 24hrs! I needed a watch that had a longer battery life to ensure that it wouldn’t die on the course.
- Recovery Tools: The Body Stick – increases circulation and decreases muscle stiffness. Rad Recovery Tools have something for everyone to help relieve tightness, tension and increase mobility. The Rad Rounds are a great place to start but my goal is to own the entire kit!
- Neck Warmer: A ton of options to choose from…something to look for is an adjustable drawstring for a snug fit. An example
- Waterproof Socks: Ray Zahab recommended the Rocky Gore-Tex Waterproof Socks at a recent talk he did on winter running! I have already ordered a pair for myself!
- Running Magazine Subscription: Canadian Running; Trail Running and Runners World are good options depending on the runner. I always get excited when a magazine shows up in my mailbox!
- Race Entrance: Supporting locals runs in my opinion are a must BUT you should also be looking at Bucket List races for gift options. My two favourite local races I love to support are: 3BeaversRacing and Ottawa Marathon.
- Reflectice Vest: Growing in popularity is the Noxgear’s Trace360 Visibility Vest no doubt a great addition for any runners gear closet. I would recommend rechargeable batteries if considering this gift, as replacing them every 40hrs would get expensive. There are other less “flashy” runners safety vest to choose from.
- Pamper items: I love Rocky Mountain Soap Company and these items in particular: Foot Butter; Hand Butter; Lip Balm and excited to try the new Ultimate Massage Butter! What I love about these products is they are 100% natural, toxin-free and made in Canada. The other bonus is they are easy to transport and throw in a back-pack for multi-day adventures. Yes, sometimes little comforts can be worth it!
Above all the gifts, look for ways to spend quality time with your loved ones outside sharing amazing experiences together!!
Is there a running gift you’ve received that you now wouldn’t want to run without?